BlogHeader

Jun 25, 2014

Finding YOUR YouTube Guru

I have spent a lot of time watching the women of YouTube talk about makeup, skin care, hair care, fashion, etc. YouTube has become a great source for makeup lovers to come together and share their thoughts.

I love YouTubers because I love learning new things and about new products. I have found that I do most of my makeup research on YouTube and through blogs. I don't like buying something unless I have found significant evidence that it is worth my time and money. I also want to find the right techniques and tools that will best benefit me. For a lot of YouTubers it is their job to try out these products are report back to their viewers so let them do all the work for you and it will make your life to much easier.

I used to watch every YouTube Guru I loved and took all their recommendations as solid proof they it would also work wonders for me. However, this is not always the case. I began to realize that everyone has different skin and different desires as how they want their makeup and skin care to work for them. Also, I realized that even if I loved someone's videos they might not be as reputable as someone else. It became very difficult when one YouTuber is telling me a product is holy grail material and another says to throw it away.

I devoted some time into going through my YouTube subscriptions and finding which ladies' qualities best matched mine:
Skin type (dry, oily, combo, etc.)
Hair type (straight, wavy, curly, greasy, kinky, etc.)
Makeup style (neutral, colorful, classic, edgy, etc.)
Price point (drugstore, high end, etc.)
Fashion style (girly, edgy, boho, etc.)
Eyeshape (hooded, monolided, etc.)
and more...

By doing this I was able to mentally keep track of who's recommendations to trust when it came to a product that would best work for me.

For example: I trust itsjudytime for almost anything having to do with face and hair. This includes foundation, primer, powder, hair spray, heat tools, etc. I love Judy because her skin type is so close to mine and she desires the same things out of her makeup that I do. Her hair type and style is also very similar to mine so I trust her on the hair front too. Not to mention she is so informative and nice to watch. She also has a pretty strong professional beauty background, which is a huge plus!




Don't get me wrong. I also watch other Guru's simply because I enjoy them or their advice helps me in other areas. Some all around awesome YouTubers are: glamlifeguru, emilynoel83, frmheadtotoe, and bubzbeauty. These ladies give all around great makeup advice that I trust plus they produce great tutorials that I can actually use. Most of them also have professional beauty backgrounds.




Just a few quick things and deter me from certain YouTubers...
If they are heavily sponsored: I'm happy that they are probably making a lot of money but it gets annoying to take everything they say with a grain to salt because they can lean towards bias.
Their price point doesn't match mine: Dior, Marc Jacobs, Bobbi Brown... These are all great brands and I love to splurge now and then but if every product they recommend is out of my price range then there isn't really any point to watch.
They don't have much talent: Some YouTubers are beautiful and fun to watch but they neither have a professional background or much natural talent and being a noob myself I would much rather spend my time watching people who know what they are doing.
Their style is not close to mine: Some ladies are so talented and create great content but I would never wear any looks they create just because they aren't for me. I love when YouTubers mix it up and throw in a fun tutorial now and then but if all your looks are not for me then I don't waste my time.

After you have sorted through your subscription box don't be afraid to search for some new people to watch. It is great when your favorite YouTuber recommends another YouTuber to check out. Also, talk to your friends. I have found so many great ladies to watch through my friend's recommendations.

You can use these tips if you're a newbie and trying to sort through the many YouTube gurus out there, if you have a very full subscription box and need to condense, or even if you are wondering if you can trust your favorite YouTuber on that new foundation that costs $30+.

It's a lot like finding a new best friend! Have fun with it! ~ Love Alissa!

*All of these tips can also work on blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment